Thursday, January 17, 2013

Journey of arrivals

I recently read a devotional from A Slice of Infinity (Ravi Zacharias International Ministries' daily devotional), that quoted this from E.B. White:
"As for me, I enjoy living among pedestrians who have an instinctive and habitual realization that there is more to a journey than the mere fact of arrival."
The whole devotional really struck me, b/c I could totally relate with the writer. We hear so many times that we should enjoy the ride, and especially in the Christian perspective, that the aim is not that we are saved, but our whole earthly life is a journey of sanctification.

But I think about our struggles right now, and it hits home, when the writer references the story of the Chilean miners, "For them, the journey was indeed astounding, but the arrival was everything."

Our journey of 5:45am wake-up calls Mon-Fri, struggles of getting Soph to eat, inevitable challenges with sickness, hair loss, chemotherapy down the road, etc, seem never-ending. Though I don't know what our "arrival" is, maybe end of treatment? I don't think we'll ever feel like we've "arrived," not with tri-monthly MRIs for 5 years, then yearly for the rest of her life, hoping/praying we get clear MRIs.

So then I come back full circle to the White quote, and maybe there is something more to our journey besides reaching the end. It is really hard to see during these difficult days, but then I read 1 Peter 4:12-13.
"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed."
A few Sundays ago, Dr. Steve preached at our church and also shared similar words, that for Christians, there is no such thing as pointless suffering. Though we've been far from God in recent years, I do feel strongly that He has a purpose, even to this, the most inexplicable situation we could imagine.

All this to say, that though I'm aching for the last day of radiation (Feb 12, we think), the last maintenance cycle of chemo (probably early 2014), I'm pretty sure that God intends something for us throughout this difficult time, and it's up to us to find God in the journey, not just at the finish line. Please pray for us that we do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment